The original structure, which resembles a small white cottage, was what is called the “headhouse”, originally meant to function as the office for the greenhouse. It and the northernmost greenhouse structure were built from a British-made Lord & Burnham Greenhouse kit in 1929.
In 1951 the two adjoining southern greenhouse structures were added-on, again using a Lord & Burnham conservatory kit. This is the structure found today. The original headhouse was converted to the Cell Research Institute, then later into research labs, and has since become the offices of uTeach Outreach. See past field trips that included a greenhouse tour.