In the summer of 2016, Information Technology Services (ITS) will retire Web Central, the legacy shared Web hosting and UNIX Timesharing System (UTS) email service at the university.
Web Central Websites
• All Web Central websites within the www.utexas.edu domain and virtual hosts must be migrated or archived by the end of June 2016
• If you have not yet set a deadline for migrating your websites or determined that they can be archived, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
• The WCSR project team has four check-in points with customers for their website migrations; those check-ins are in progress
• Archiving is ongoing each month; after archiving, each site returns a 404-File Not Found page or maintains the existing redirect
• If you feel that a site was archived in error, please email email@example.com
• Redirects for migrated or archived sites will be maintained for one year after Web Central is retired
UTS Email Service - @uts.cc.utexas.edu
• All @uts.cc.utexas.edu email addresses will need to be migrated to alternative services or removed by April 2016, to allow for the UTS service to be retired in June 2016
• In October, the project team communicated with identified TSCs who will assist UTS email account holders in migrating their email addresses
• In the coming weeks, the WCSR project team will be contacting individual @uts.cc.utexas.edu email account holders about the migration effort
UTS Email Service - @www.utexas.edu
• All @www.utexas.edu email forwarding addresses will be retired by the end of August 2016
• In November, the WCSR project team will identify and communicate with @www.utexas.edu address owners about its retirement
• All UTS websites, e.g., uts.cc.utexas.edu/~example, will need to migrate to alternative services or be retired by the end of April 2016
• If a site needs to be migrated, customers may choose to migrate the site to the University Blog Service (UBS)
• Customers also may discuss alternative web services with their departmental web managers or the WCSR project team
For more information, please visit the Web Central Retirement Project page (https://www.utexas.edu/its/webcentral/Retirement%20Project), including Web Central Retirement Help (https://www.utexas.edu/its/webcentral/Retirement%20Help).
Written by Jenn Coast, ITS Applications
Questions or comments? The best and easiest way to contact us is via the CNS Help Desk form.