Austin is a rapidly growing city with endless things to do and places to eat, especially over the summer. Below is a list of resources on and off campus that you might find useful.
- Getting a UT ID
- UT Summer Research Scholars Program events and activities
- Housing information
- On campus dining options
- College of Natural Sciences (CNS)
- UT Graduate School
- Your gym membership will be on your student ID card. Present your student ID at the gym and you will have access to the all of the gyms on campus.
- University Health Services (UHS)
- SURE Walk - A program run by UT Student Government that will accompany you home late at night (10 PM - 2 AM) 7 days a week. Call their number to request a walk: 512-232-9255 or email them at email@example.com. They are a weather dependent service, so check their Facebook page to make sure they are operating.
- CapMetro is the bus system that runs city-wide and also on campus. You will be able to get on any of the busses for free with your UT ID card. For the city busses, when you get on the bus simply swipe your ID card, on campus busses (the burnt orange ones) you can just get on without swiping your card. Routes and more information can be found here. They also have a phone app with schedules.
Food Off Campus:
Austin is a foodie friendly city, so this is by no means a complete list, but these are some of the places to eat that are closest to campus or most popular among students.
The Drag - Guadalupe St. along the western edge of campus
- Kerbey Lane Cafe - 24 hour diner
- Fat Sal's Deli
- Verts Mediterranean Grill
- Fuzzy's - Mexican
- Madam Mam's - Thai
- Pizzeria Vetri
- Simon's Burger Joint
- Einstein Bros - Bagels
- Kismet Cafe - Greek and Middle Eastern
- Which Wich - Sandwiches
- Potbelly - Sandwiches
- Jamba Juice
- Austin Curry Box
- Caffe Medici - Coffee shop
- Teji's - Indian
Notable places elsewhere
- Taco Joint - near intersection of San Jacinto and Speedway
- El Sapo - Burgers, intersection of Manor Rd. and Chicon St.
- Black's BBQ - corner of Guadalupe St. and W 31st 1/2 St.
- Cherrywood - Coffeehouse with food and pastries, intersection of E 38th 1/2 St. and Lafayette Ave.
- Spider House - Bar and Cafe combo. Lots of evening events that you can attend even if you aren't 21. Near intersection of Fruth St. and W 29th St.
Austin Summer Activities:
- Austin summer festivals and other local events
- Calendar of free fun events in Austin
- Sound and Cinema - Live bands on alternating Wednesdays on the lawn of the Long Center (performing arts center in Austin)
- Austin Symphony Concerts in the Park - Outdoor concert, also at the Long Center
- Blues on the Green - Music in Zilker Park
- Barton Springs Pool - Pool that is fed by underground springs
- Kayak in Lady Bird Lake - Many companies offer this