Case Competition

The Actuarial Science Program at UT holds a case competition every semester for students to apply what they have learned in their classes and practice their presentation skills. In the past, the program has partnered with companies such as Willis Towers Watson and Cigna to develop the cases and judge competitors. Our Case Competition Student Committee helps ensure the cases are reasonably difficult and that the competition runs smoothly. 

2018_wtw_case_comp_team_1.jpg2018_wtw_case_comp_qa.jpg

Why Should You Compete?

• Exposure to real actuarial work
  • Teamwork 
  • Project management
  • Presentation and communication skills
  • Fun and challenging eduational experience
  • Networking with employers
  • Opportunity to meet other actuarial students
  • Actuarial experience for resume
  • Stories/answers for behavioral intervew questions
  • Prize money!

"I wish opportunities like this had been available when I was a student. The case study was a very realistic simulation of a typical industry challenge. As a result, these students will be more prepared for a career in actuarial science."
                                                               - Judge

"One of the biggest takeaways is just learning how to tackle a big project as a group. Learning communication and team work as you try and accomplish a problem no one has seen before makes for a great experience. It was also great practice for presentation skills and communicating one's thought process through a complicated problem..."
                                               - Past competitor

"The case competition is what I truly believe gave me a leg up on my competitors when interviewing for internships.  It was a real experience that forced me to use skills that actuaries use on a daily basis."

- Past competitor

group_photo.jpg